Creator Beer Club at Evil Twin Brewing in Dumbo— Oct 13, 2021
And I'll kick it off — let's chat + get to know one another, just for the sake of getting to know one another — see you at creator beer club tomorrow night at Evil Twin Brewing.See you Wednesday Oct 13, 2021 at 7:00 PM at Evil Twin Brewing, Dumbo.
Howdy Creators 👋
Have you ever met someone from the internet IRL? What different nuances exist in these friendships that might not exist in a friendship of someone you met initially IRL?
Let me toss the idea out that these relationships really shouldn't be that different. At the end of the day we're seeking connection, friendship, and authenticity online.
I explored some of the nuance of these online relationships in the recent Fandom Communities newsletter — and why it's so important to move beyond the parasocial.
While the internet provided us so many different ways to make a living — it also normalized parasocial relationships (not cool).
Let's break this norm — starting one conversation at at a time.
And I'll kick it off — let's chat + get to know one another, just for the sake of getting to know one another — see you at creator beer club tomorrow night at Evil Twin Brewing.
See you Wednesday Oct 13, 2021 at 7:00 PM at Evil Twin Brewing, Dumbo.
Things that are worth raising a glass to:
- Mutual Aid, Extremely Online — how we organize to help our fellow humans in the midst of a pandemic.
- I'm personally quite excited for Nintendo 64 games to be made available on Switch.
- The new bond film came out this past weekend — and I thought it was a nice wrap on the Daniel Craig bond films as did many others on the internet — here's NPR's take.
- Today, Oct 12, 1PM ET — Join me and Rosie Sherry at an Orbit Study Group [ RSVP Here ]
- Tomorrow, Oct 13 9:30AM ET — Rosie Sherry + myself will be exploring the Economics of Community on Twitter Spaces — [ RSVP here ]
- Tomorrow, Oct 13 7PM ET — Join fellow creators + creator-curious at Evil Twin Brewing in Dumbo, NYC for a cold one and good conversation. [ RSVP here ]
- Thursday, Oct 14, 3PM ET — Catch Maricris Bonzo + the Orbit team breaking down the basics behind Web 3.0 — [ RSVP here ]
Things worth pouring a glass and reading
- The pandemic changed what I felt about gaming — by Joshua Poh
- On Being Perceived — by Kelsey McKinney
- A really good thread of alternate language we should use when discussing community — by Rosie Sherry
And click here to watch a wildly unhinged tiktok featuring Smash Mouth because I just...can't.